.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

TerryRoars

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Lock Bumping is not a New Dance

I don’t usually like those email messages that promote fear, per se, but my sister Lynn sent me a video about “bump keys” and “lock bumping”. Very interesting--I’m so naïve, I hadn’t heard of it before. Apparently, these specially cut keys--which look like simple keys you can get anywhere--are very easy to make, and they make it incredibly easy to quickly get through any type of lock.

Our house is fitted with a central alarm, so I’m not so worried about security for us as I am for my daughters, who live in rental homes. The suggested solution sounds fairly simple, though it could turn out to be a real boon for locksmiths and hardware stores!

Because I didn't want to upload a hefty video to my image server, I've found a link to a similar story on YouTube from the same TV station in California, WMC-TV5. Just click the link in the title of this post. (Or paste the text below into your web browser's URL field.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr23tpWX8lM

The Internet makes information easy to get...for us and for the bad guys. They say that bump keys have been around for more than 50 years, but the Internet has made it so much easier to find out how to make them. They're as cheap as $2! The best way to stay safe, is to stay in tune. As always, knowledge is your best weapon!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be afraid to comment anonymously. But, by leaving your email address, I can contact you privately and off-blog. I won't sell your name or email to anyone, I promise!



<< Home