.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

TerryRoars

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

The Parking Spot is Johnny on the Spot

As mentioned previously, we had a challenging night on our return from a recent trip to Castroville. Following is a letter I wrote to my local airport parking garage in gratitude for helping us in a tight situation:

Thank you so much to the caring and concerned employees at the Phoenix Parking Spot!

On the evening of August 25, as my daughter, my mom and I were returning from our weekend trip, my mom had a very difficult and sudden gran mal seizure. We were just getting ready to depart our shuttle when this happened and luckily we were the last drop for the driver.

I especially want to express my gratitude to our driver--I don't think he had ever seen a person in this state, and he was quite frightened! At first I assured him that it was a fairly normal health condition for my mom and that she should be OK in a couple of minutes. He kept calm and helped my daughter to load our bags in the car while awaiting the end of the seizure.

But, then, as Mom's seizure peaked, ebbed and then returned, (not normal!) we decided to call for an ambulance. Our driver drove us to the front of the lot so the ambulance could find us easily. At that time I lost track of our driver, who I'm sure by then must have been feeling quite unnerved. A seizure is hard to witness, and it is difficult for those who've never seen one to stay calm. But, it's also important to note that most times, a person seizing doesn't require emergency services.

In this case it turned out that Mom's seizure was was not normal and that she was also having a slight heart attack at the same time. She was taken to the hospital, and after a 5 day stay, is now home and recovering very well!

I'm so grateful to all the staff at the Parking Spot for helping us the way they did. One of the gentlemen brought us some bottles of water, which in all the excitement we promptly forgot about--I hope the emergency techs were able to take advantage of the generous offer. The staff even comped our parking fees for that weekend, so that we could quickly exit and follow the ambulance to the hospital.

I apologize to anyone at the Parking Spot who may have been deeply frightened by this event--a seizure is always quite dramatic, and this one was doubly so because not only was emergency help required, but there was a tremendous thunderstorm pounding overhead!

The Parking Spot already had a loyal customer before this event because of your courteous staff, ease of entry and exit, and quick airport pickup and drop-off services. But now, I can only say, you guys ROCK!


Thanks for caring!!
Terry Rohrs and family


I received a very nice reply from them on the same day. These guys are quick responders all the way around! They've got my back everytime I fly. (Names are removed in respect for those who are unaware I'm posting this response.)

Hello Terry:

On behalf of The Parking Spot and our PHX team, we truly appreciate your kind words via our message center. I am glad our Driver ... was able to assist you during your challenging situation. In addition, I am proud of our Assistant Manager ... for stepping in to comp your stay and bring you water. Most importantly, its good to know that your family is doing ok.

Thanks for being a loyal customer and we look forward to servicing you on future trips.

Best,
...
Sales Director
The Parking Spot

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

  • A perfect example of more Hero's in our mist. Job well done by all.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/28/2008 6:58 AM  

  • Heros come in all shapes and sizes, and no deed is too small! The General Manager even called to say thank you for the nice note, and that they had posted it in their breakroom for all employees. It is important to thank people when they've gone out of their way to do something nice for you... doesn't help to only speak out when you have a complaint.

    By Blogger Terry R, at 9/28/2008 12:32 PM  

  • Here's another person's view on saying Thank You. www.ted.com/index.php/talks/laura_trice_suggests_we_all_say_thank_you.html

    By Blogger Terry R, at 9/28/2008 1:28 PM  

  • I am happy to report, that a year later, Mom and I made the same trip back to Castroville. Our flight was uneventful, and as we were leaving, the Parking Spot manager and assistant manager were both at the exit and remembered us. They peered in and we waved back. The manager said, "hey, I know you ladies! Looks like you had a better trip this time!" Why yes, we did.

    By Blogger Terry R, at 9/24/2009 4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Don't be afraid to comment anonymously. But, by leaving your email address, I can contact you privately and off-blog. I won't sell your name or email to anyone, I promise!



<< Home